A Fathers' Day Post Dedicated to My Old Man

Hi Dad

The reality of the situation is that by the time you read this post, it won't be father's day anymore but the sentiment is still here, right? For me it is currently Sunday the 21st of June, 2015, so it is father's day. There are a lot of things to thank you for but maybe I'll save those for when I'm running out of inspiration on your birthday card. Lets make this a little less personal.

Tips On How To Be A Great Dad 
(Based on the experiences of a daughter)

1. Try Not To Colour Code Your Outfits. This is a great technique used by my dad to force all attention onto his kids. His shocking choice of clothing makes us shine in comparison thereby forcing our self-esteem to skyrocket. If your style is naturally fabulous may I suggest you try my father's signature navy blue beret which he matches with various brown turtle-necks.

2. The Trick-Sauce Prank. Sometimes a child will doubt their father's sense of humour. The word "lame" might be thrown around. To solve this problem you need to take yourself to their level: Pranks. An example of one of my dad's HILARIOUS pranks is the trick-sauce prank. Take for example, the tomato sauce (Americans, this is your ketchup). When there is about a quarter of tomato sauce left in the bottle dad seizes his opportunity to invent a new sauce which is roughly the same colour of the original sauce and often eye-wateringly spicy. He will then pour this sauce into the  bottle of tomato sauce where it will stay until one of his innocent, unassuming children use it to pour all over their food. Meal ruined. As I mentioned before: HILARIOUS.

3. Spontaneous Projects. Sometimes all your children need is the feeling of camaraderie and the best way to do this is to spring spontaneous projects on them such as weeding the entirety of the garden, sorting through every pile of junk in the house in one afternoon or building a garden shed. Another tip is to ban all supposedly "fun" things until the job is done, it really spurs enthusiasm!

4. Show Off Your Groovy Dance Moves At Any/All Opportunities. If you're worried that your smooth dance style that was a hit in the 70's has gone out of fashion, think again! The way to get your children's approval, and the approval of all their super-cool friends, is to bust out the old moves whenever you get the chance. If you feel like you can't dance, don't worry! It's easy! Just pretend that you're Baloo the Bear from the Jungle book and you will probably be dancing exactly like my dad. (I'll be honest, I can't take all the credit for that comparison, I think my big brother found the connection in his recent Disney movie marathon.)

5. Take Your Kids Seriously. Okay, enough with the jokes. One thing my dad is outstanding at, is taking us seriously. He humours our every whim. Supports our crazy ideas and crazier personalities. I can't fault him on his parenting techniques because there actually are very few faults. (I mean check me out: I am so well-adjusted!) If anyone deserves props, its him. (Things got a little mushy there, didn't they - don't worry, it won't happen again.)

I will end off with this pic of us from earlier this year. Yes, dad is wearing my stylish bandanna because he was worried about his head getting sunburned. No shame. 

Until next time, 
Jen x

Comments

  1. Bless you, Jen! I was well spoiled this Father's Day, including a breakfast, a walk and an IP chat between Seattle and CT. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't be a great parent without fab kids!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts