A Couple of Weeks Exploring London

I can kind of not believe the life that I've been living recently. This past week (The 11th of September to the 18th of September) I cracked the nod to spend some time with Jessica Steven and her family who acted as my official London tour guides and they did an absolutely stellar job. I was quite excited and pretty much resembled Joey Tribiani in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ma0ZDQ6Ig although Jess was the one with the camera asking me questions at regular intervals.

Dad, our primary exploring day was on your birthday! I still have the ticket that says "13 Sep 15" which I am saving for some reason, maybe its sentimental?? Anyway - we started at Canary Wharf and headed to Kings Cross. As the week continued, I managed to tick off Trafalgar Square, St James Park, Hyde Park, Oxford Street and - my personal favorite - Camden, the market place that I may have been drawn to because a) it reminded me of Cape Town or maybe b) because there was a cafe called The Cereal Killer in which you could have a bowel of any cereals with any toppings and there were drinks. Genius. By the way I'm afraid - although I took plenty of photos - I'm going to have to attach those to a different post as I am on my iPad and have not managed to figure out how to get photos on here. I know, loser, but you can only complain to me when you have a blog recording your worldly travels. 

*Jen procrastinates for a week and comes back to this post on the 28th of September*

Since returning from staying with Jess I have been in and out of London visiting none other than SHONA TROOST, ladies and gentlemen. We went to a church called St Martin in The Fields which was stunning and we managed to listen to two guys mucking about on a piano and a bassoon which was just incredible. We then popped underground (there is so much underground, like London: floor -1) to a little cafe called The Crypt which was very cool. All arches and brick walls, my kind of aesthetic. We also managed to see a neighborhood called the Seven Dials which is named after a monument with a clock in the middle with seven faces. There were loads of little charity shops and cafes and there was one area with buildings of all different colors that reminded me of the Bo Kaap. We had fish and chips in a pub (because hello, England) and then went to Oxford street because that little path needs more than one visit. A couple of days after that trip it was the 24th of September which is not only Heritage/Braai day in South Africa but more importantly it was Shona's birthday so we went out for pizza that evening and then went to Westminster which was stunning. Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament were beautifully lit up and the London Eye was loads of different colours as though it was celebrating Gay Pride although Shona's theory was that it was for the Rugby World Cup which I think is a bit more correct.

This is all very well and exciting but Jen, but you've not seen any museums, what about your EDUCATION? Fear not my friends, on Friday the 25th of September I met up with Warwick Bradfield for a brilliant day of exploration. We went to the British Museum which was cool, especially the bit about watches and clocks through the ages - there were some good ones. I also got to see his res which is actually really nice. Tad jealous. But not really because I'm not emotionally ready to do a masters in engineering.

All my love to you

Jen x

Comments

Popular Posts