I am to Uni as Dogs are to Orchestras

I've had a term at UCT and I can generally say that I am to university as a golden retriever puppy is to an orchestra, I'm deeply confused by all the moving parts and nobody is really sure what I'm doing there. Of course that's an exaggeration, I'm not completely lost but in true Jen form, I'm not completely on top of things either. I've definitely managed to achieve some important student activities which I'm pretty sure are mandatory for all those hoping to get a degree:

1) Starting an essay the day before in a blind panic.

2) Realising you're not going to finish the essay tonight, better wake up tomorrow morning early and finish it.

3) Hating past-self for being lazy and going to sleep because it's four in the morning and no one up at this ungodly hour should have to churn out an assignment.

4) Working like a trojan on a test, putting all other subjects out of sight and mind only to fail test.

5) Putting failed test out of sight and mind and pretending everything is great and cool until you're alone with your pillow and feeling like a general failure.

6) Remembering to pull yourself together, life goes on and you're not doing that badly anyway. Things could be worse. You could be living in the 1800s. Women couldn't vote and Harry Potter hadn't been written yet. Also there's no wifi.

7) Falling asleep in a lecture and waking up with a line of spit from your mouth to the desk and obviously everyone saw because unlike you, they had their eyes open and their brains conscious.

8) Setting a timer for a 15 minute nap because that will give you enough time to wake up and go to your next commitment.

9) Blearily waking up after the 15 minutes, deciding to not put on make up for your next commitment, rather set timer for 7 minutes time and then just leave straight away.

10) Feeling underdressed always because WOWZA people dress well on campus. I look exactly like this sloth every day in comparison:



I've picked up a second job (waitressing at an Italian restaurant, I start this week, cross fingers for me) and have made maybe the biggest mistake in my human existence so far by signing up for a half marathon in July. I'm currently able to do a slow and steady 6k. It's April. Refer back to the sloth.

Until next time, 

Jen x

Comments

  1. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've be keeping my word and have been checking your blog pretty much daily! It sounds like university is boring............no surprise there. Things will lighten up though, I know they will.
    Love Katie

    p.s. When's the next family get together? I haven't seen you guys in AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, I commented on ur other blog ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts