A Pound Of Clay, A Eulogy and A Couple of Things Of Which I Am Rather Proud

Evening All

I just wanted to give you all a little update on me and my travels! We're all doing very well here, I'm spending my days planning a farmers market, tutoring at a primary school, missing you all and doing clay! Yes, you read that correctly, I have re-taken up my new-found passion for pottery. It hasn't yielded fantastic results YET but here's to hoping. Back in Cape Town I went to a couple of classes and loved it. We all sat around a big table and moulded chunks of clay into various objects each at differing levels of skill but all beautiful because we are all beautiful as human beings. If any of the gals from clay are reading this right now - I miss you and our Friday morning gossip sessions! I loved being able to just listen to the hilarious conversation while doing something crafty with my hands.

The pottery I'm doing now is slightly different in that it is called "throwing". This is because you literally throw the clay onto a pottery wheel and then switch the wheel on, which spins, and then you make something. Although its not quite so simple. At the end of every lesson I am covered from head to toe in clay with not a lot to show for it. Once the wheel is switched on I seem to completely lose control over everything and it all flies in different directions. The good news is that I can only improve from here. My teacher - whose name also happens to be Jen - is arty and has a sense of humour but I don't think she was quite prepared for how unskilled I am. I am hopefully making up for this with my positive attitude and charming smile. There are seven other ladies in the class (may I just add that they all claimed to be novices but are now producing pots and bowels as if they were throwing clay from birth) and one old man who I have already labeled my favourite student. He came in with a good strategy. He kind of bumbled along claiming not to be able to read any of the things we had to fill in and squinting every time someone spoke to him as though he did't quite get what they were saying. Through the entire tour of the studio he ambled behind the group at his own pace mumbling to himself and not paying attention. As soon as we're sitting at our wheels however, he's banging out all these different pieces of crockery like its his second nature. I feel like I was the only one in the class who found the humour in this. All in all its a brilliant start to my Wednesdays. 

And now onto a sadder note... 

In Memorium

My trusty pair of sunglasses have lived their last day. From their first day on the job they shielded the unforgiving rays of sun out of my eyes, never once did I hear a word of complaint. They lived a long life, I brought them into my care in the Summer of 2014, I can't imagine the lives they lead before that. Brought up on the crowded streets of Cape Town with no one but themselves for company. We got along like peas and carrots my sunglasses and I. They fit my face perfectly and often when my outfit lacked anything vaguely considered stylish, these glasses saved the day. Some might refer to them as fake. Some might say "But 'Ray Bens' are not real and are just a copy of another more popular brand!!". To those people I say Go and drink a mug of hot tar my friend. These glasses were individualists. They were who they were, not wasting a moment trying to be anyone else. I'll always be grateful for that. 

Here I managed to capture their last moments. Gone but not forgotten. Rest in Pieces my friends. 

Look at the cool, new guys I replaced them with! These were from a cute consignment store(fancy word for second-hand shop) called Serendipity. The beauty I am posing with is my Downtown Kirkland Guide, Margaret Hansen. 

Then we went for a cup of tea, and I just had to record it. A) because how cool is the tea holder-infuser thing? and B) because it was delicious: masala chai. Never forget. 


Another thing that I think deserves to be recorded is this meal we had at a place called Kidd Valley. Is this not the most American thing? Needless to say my burger, sweet potato fries and milkshake were all delicious. 


ALSO Today is quite a big day in my history. Today I cycled the longest I think I have ever cycled (Relatives if this is untrue speak up but somehow I really don't think so). A full 45 mile distance was covered by me INCLUDING a hill. The hill wasn't exactly suikerbossie but it was a climb I'll tell you that. This is 70 odd kilometres for those living anywhere other than the United States. I'm not trying to blow my own horn or anything but BOOOP BOOP BOOOOOOP BOOOOOOP. 

That's all the news I have for you today. 

Until next time, 
Jen x




Comments

  1. Ah Jen - them Ray Bens gawn?! Sad is the day. But you do look oh so scheek in the conspiracy/consignment ones! Keep throwing that thar clay girl! We miss you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunty Margs! I will keep throwing the clay, and I'll take pictures of all the things I manage to create. And I'll let you know what they are because no one will be able to tell just by looking at them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen! I do pottery at school! Snapzies! :) We can be the potters in the family! Yet it? POTTERS? Sorry, I'm such a Harry Potter geek.

    Your poor sunglasses! I teared up at that bit. JK! Well, at least you got new ones. They look fabulous by the way. Did I mention before that I got into the netball team? Yay! I had a practise today. We were trying out for A and B teams. My friend got a sneak peak at the list though and apparently she and I are in the A team! Yay again!

    See ya when ya get back (but not even the scariest teacher/monster will stop me commenting on your blog!),
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is pure gold my friend, but more importantly "Rest in Pieces" deserves a round of applause (eye see what you did there ;) ). Also hi. Also I miss you. Also Wally and I are super jealous of your pottery classes. Teach us your ways when you get back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely teach you my ways when I get back. Also I miss you guys too. So much. Also I hold compliments from you about my blog in the HIGHEST regard. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

      Delete
  4. You are a brilliant commentator of LIFE and your observances are amusing. The demise of your trusty Ben's brought tears to my eyes. .... BUT the new ones are really cool. Long live the Consignment Shop ones and keep writing. I can see you one day doing the news interviews a la Amapour. I think she is really great.
    xxx G.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts