A Really Big Slice of Cake And A Game Of Soccer

I have a day off today! And because I didn't post anything last week here I am, laptop open, fingers typing, desperately trying to think of something interesting to say. I know once I start things will come flowing out but it's starting that is the difficulty. This I have learned is true for a lot of things.

To start off I must fill you in on another one of my achievements. Although this one was a team effort. There is a beautiful pizza place pretty close to where we are staying called Deru. It is incredible. Sometimes people eat food and they go "Oh... wow... this, this is something else oh my goodness. Heavens above this is delicious." But really what they mean is "I was pretty hungry before I ate this and honestly a sandwich would have done the trick but this is pleasing I guess."
So when I say the food from this place is good you HAVE to take me seriously. This food would please the gods themselves. It would bring tears to the eyes of today's great chefs. Each bite is laden with texture and flavour that really is incomparable to any cake that has passed my lips. 10/10 Would Recommend.

Here is the menu: http://www.derumarket.com

If you just clicked on that link and you happened to scroll down to "SWEET TREATS" and then your eye wandered to the bottom of the list to where it said "CAKE" and then you read the offered cake options and you happened to read "coconut" you will have read what Laurie, Greg and I ordered a couple of nights ago. This was for an important cause, of course. Laurie is supplying desert for some sponsors and such for Dwankhozi Hope (http://dwankhozi-hope.org) and we needed to taste test the cake. Between the three of us we ordered a single slice with three forks. These pieces of cake are massive. They don't muck about at Deru. It should be said that the last time we ordered a piece of cake (Chocolate Peanut Butter - I know, me? Peanut Butter??? But it was really good, I think because it was sweetened) we also ordered one slice between the three of us and we didn't manage to finish it. In fact we had it for another subsequent desert.
So we ordered this humongous piece of cake and this time we were systematic. Laurie divided the piece equally between us and we polished the entire thing off. And that was the achievement. I'm know I'm being laughed at and considered a weakling because how could we not finish one piece of cake but this cake is so big! One piece is like 5 cupcakes!

I didn't get a pic of the actual slice of cake but I sapped one as we were walking out. This is the cake we ate. Pretty luxurious, huh. I decided that my wedding cake is going to be from Deru. No matter where my wedding takes place. 

Also, yesterday, Greg, Becca and I went to go watch a game of soccer! It was so much fun, despite my general lack of interest in soccer. It was the Seattle Sounders against the Portland Timbers and those who follow me on snapchat (jen_wsmith) know what a fun time I had. When a goal was scored (by the Sounders who won 1-nil) fire was shot out of these fiery things and people threw streamers. And the fans were extremely good at letting the teams know that they had fans. There was one guy sitting behind us who thought he was being hilarious with his comments such as "Your mother is embarrassed by you" which got a laugh out of his mates but nothing more than an eye-roll from me. 
Despite that, I had a really brilliant time. 

I'm not particularly proud of this one but there were no spelling mistakes so it makes the blog. Becca was sporting this scarf. 

Otherwise I've just been reading, volunteering, video-chatting to you guys, etc. Basically having a rad time. 

Until next time
Jen x







Comments

  1. Hi Jen!

    Wow, that cake looked delicious! Talk about trouble starting! I've been staring at this screen for ten minuets wondering what to write after, "that cake looked delicious!". Then I was thinking that I was having the same problem that you had. Then, BOOM! It hit me. I don't usually have this problem though. For example, at school we always have to do creative writing for Mrs Van Niekerk. She ALWAYS makes us plan it before so I usually just scribble down stuff because I already have an inspiration and want to start writing. Anyway, I'm gonna friend you on snapchat (even though I don't know how it works).

    Missing you
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I Banting??? I actually loose cake, especially the chocolate variety.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts