A Belated Post About Easter

The guilt has been eating me up inside. An entire week has passed by without a blog post from me. I am currently picturing crowds of people with their eyes glued to their laptop screens frantically refreshing my blog page hoping against all hope that I will post something new. Tears leak out of eyes and hands desperately reach for other hands in the hopes that they will find someone somewhere who makes this grotesque world a little less lonely.

The truth of course is that everyone has a life outside of the time spent reading this blog and you probably catch up like four posts at a time whilst sitting in a boring meeting or accounts lecture. Whatever the truth may be I am back, just like Jesus came back on the third day. Which brings me to the topic of today's post: EASTER!!! (That is how you segue, ladies and gentlemen.) 

Easter at the Rob Worthington-Smith household is composed of grumpy teenagers trying to remember the last time they got to eat chocolate Easter eggs on this sacred day. Whether our beloved golden retriever has eaten them all, wrappers included, or dad asked us to give them away to the people who didn't have any (You can't possibly keep your precious eggs under the judging eyes of your family as they hand theirs over), or like this Easter I'm told, sugar is prohibidydado (Fired Up reference) and the only eggs to be had are real chicken eggs, scrambled or fried. This side of the world is a little different, folks. Buckle up. 

After the mandatory Easter service (at which CINNAMON ROLLS were served - those things are bad news) we headed home to prepare "dinner", it was lunch but was referred to as dinner - don't analyse, just accept, which was quite an affair. I was whole-heartedly impressed with the effort that went into this meal. I'm talking name cards, themed serviettes and an extension for the dining room table (that's when you know that things are getting serious). Two sets of grandparents attended as well as both Tyler AND Becca. Those of you who have children at university know what a rare commodity it is to enjoy a meal with the whole gang. I didn't even ruin the day by spilling all the corn inside the fridge! 

Anyway. Here's some photo evidence of the event: 

The table beautifully set. 

My spot - PROOF that I was invited. 

A mimosa! Those at home refer to this as: orange juice with champagne poured inside. But mimosa sounds better, doesn't it? This photo features two matching grandpa's and some delicious snacks. 

The aforementioned snacks.  

A portion of The Spread. 

This was a "strata". Proper delicious if I'm honest. Its kind of like a frittata but it has bread inside of it. Don't knock it till you've tried it, guys. I'm bringing home the recipe. 

My contribution: Sweet Potato Wedges! If you didn't read that title in your head in the voice of an Academy Award host announcing the winner of the Oscar for the best kind of roasted food on the planet you may need to rethink some things. 

That was it for lunch. I gobbled up dessert too quickly for there to be any pics but it was All American: Pie! Key lime pie (which was sort of like that fridge lemon cheese cake) and strawberry rhubarb. Scrumptious. 

After a lengthy siesta I made myself this for supper:

It makes the blog because I'm quite proud of it. Dad- I did that thing where you put strawberries and balsamic vinegar together. Not bad. Really good actually. 

So overal I would say that was a fabulous Easter and I'm glad I've written about it so that I can come back to this blog years from now and remind myself of it. A smile will spread across my old and wizened face and I'll probably say something like "A jolly time was had by all. SUCH fun."

Until next time, 
Jen x


Comments

  1. Hi Jen! Sounds like you had a lovely Easter! Just looking at those photos made me hungry! I also now have a craving for potatoes! Shame on you Jen, shame on you. JK, just kidding! As my brother would say. Not the shame on you part, the JK, just kidding part.
    See ya (in a very very very very very very very very veeeeeeeeeeeeery long time. The months seem to drag on.............................)

    Love Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts