A Peak Into The Music I'm Listening To Right Now

Today I had two things on my schedule. I know, I lead a very busy life. Anyway the two things were #1 to write a post for you all and #2 to write out a list of my favourite songs for a special person who I met over this past weekend. Being the innovative, intelligent (and lazy) gal that I am I decided to combine the two. Now all of you can see the music I'm listening to. You should all know that I take music quite seriously which has resulted in me having the best music taste in the world.

Credits for my phenomenal taste go to my loving parents for raising us on a single Beatles CD with a big, yellow 1 on it as well as a couple of other classic albums, my Aunty Margs for her extensive and impressive collection, my big brother for supplying me with endless beautiful tracks, my cousin Josie for going through a rebellious phase and finding solace in good music thereby causing me to force myself to learn these songs off by heart in order to empathise with her somehow and of course my friends, without whom I would probably never have listened to anything written in the 21st century. 

After stressing for at least five minutes as to who gets to be at the top of the list I thought it would just be safest to add in this disclaimer: This list is in order of which bands/songs popped into my head first, nothing else.

 The songs with an "*" are great for working out. I usually listen to slow and soulful (or as Chris says - depressing) music but that isn't very persuasive when trying to excersize. 

Let's start with Ed Sheeran. Controversial for some but this guy got me through Grade 10 so I owe him nothing but my respect. My favourite songs of his include Give Me Love and Lego House, although his new album has some pretty great tracks such as*Sing, *Don't and *All About It as well as Thinking Out Loud which you've probably heard on the radio - its running the risk of being overplayed I'm afraid. He wrote a song called I See Fire for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug which is a great track as well. 

Fleet Foxes! I have quite a complicated relationship with this band as I often find that on my first listen to a song I don't quite get it and I'm not immediately attracted but after a couple more listens I am more often than not completely sold. My current favourite is White Winter Hymnal which is beautiful although I think it's about snowmen. I am also loving Mykonos and an old favourite of mine is False Knight on the Road

Passenger. Recently played at Kirstenbosch, sound familiar? I happened to leave exactly one day before he peformed so I was a bit gutted as I absolutely adore his style. Do yourself a favour and just listen to the entire album called All The Little Lights. I recently acquired his new album, Whispers, and I'll be honest, it's pretty darn good.

First Aid Kit. A pair of sisters who have been likened to Simon and Garfunkel, just saying. My favourite song of theirs is *The Lion's Roar.

Hmmm I'm noticing an Indie Rock trend. Oh well, lets push on.

Tom Rosenthal. I am giving myself a massive pat on the back for finding this guy. You know in School of Rock when Jack Black describes music as "brain melting"? I finally know what he means. Listen to Going To Be Wonderful and It's Okay. Also Go Solo. Matt described him as "an absolute belter" if that means anything to you.

The Wombats. I don't know how appreciative the adults reading this will be. Aunty Margs I can hear you describing these guys as "shouty" but I quite like them.

Hozier. It seems that every song I listen to from this guy is great. *Take Me To Church is his most popular but I also love Work Song, Arsonist's Lullaby and Cherry Wine.

Gregory Alan Isokov. Introduced to me by the lovely Britt Watkins-Baker who I don't think I can thank enough. Though he was born in South Africa, he grew up in America so I don't think he counts as South African. His Loss. Listen to 3am if you need persuading.

I have always loved bands such as Death Cab for Cutie, The Killers, etc but they are not on any of my current favourites playlists so I have decided to leave them out. 

Now For The South African Artists

I feel it's only right to include some South African bands. It might surprise some to find out that there is more out there than Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Who said I wasn't patriotic? 

Jeremy Loops. I would guess that his most popular song right now is *Down South, it's good, check it out. 

aKING. My favourite is Safe As Houses. Absolutely adore. Helen actually scored a guitar pick from these guys. Ask her about it, it's a great anecdote!

Parlotones. They're doing quite well right now, I'm very proud! As long as they don't forget their roots. I love a lot of their stuff from a few years ago like *Dragonflies and Astronauts, Baby Be Mine (A Stunner), Bird in Flight, *Sun Comes Out, *Here Comes a Man, *Side of the Moon and *Play On. 

Matthew Mole. A rather recent addition to my music library surprisingly enough. I really like *Take Yours, I'll Take Mine. 

Gangs Of Ballet. First of all, is that not the coolest name for a band you have ever heard of in your life? Listen to Hello Sweet World and Don't Let Me Go. According to Matt, this is the best South African Band out there at the moment. Right, Matt?

Those are all the guys I can think of right now, let me know in the comments or something if I left anyone vitally important out or you think I should check anyone out. I'm not the be all and end all of music.

I love you all.

Until next time,
Jen x



Comments

  1. Hey Jen - so I want to make a playlist of all these mentions - I realise I have to move along from The Big 3 sometime and I do like your taste in music. Maybe I'll ask Jose to make one up for me. Your last cd (still in my car ie has survived all the car swops!) is getting worn out! Love it and it makes me think of you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Big 3 will always have a special place in my heart, but they are eternal! These guys are people who I love listening to, some of whom I found by myself which I'm pretty proud of. I know dad wants Chris to make him a CD of these so maybe he can make a copy for you! And get Jose's input, she definitely shares the credit for some of these finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that I haven't been commenting lately Jen. We've been a holiday so no technology allowed. I'm not really a song person. Well, I am, but I don't know any. But thanks for this post cause now I can go on YouTube and learn some more!

    Love Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Kate! We're all a little busy! I hope you enjoyed Breede, I miss it so much! I saw the pics though, they look fab!

      Delete
  4. *fangirling over being mentioned in such a cool post*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fangirling over getting a comment by you*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts