Runny Noses and Runny Feet.

Evening folks, do you still recognise me? I realise I've not been around for a while and I'm looking a bit unkempt, dishevelled and generally disorderly.

Right now, to paint you a word picture, I am snuggled up in bed surrounded by tissues, medicine, a book I'm supposed to (but not going to) read and empty mugs, some of which still have cold rooibos tea with lemon slices in them. And there's a cat curled up on my legs who has been here for such a long time I've decided to rename her Planter Wart.

Why did I decide to reopen this jenandtonicc tab? Oh good question.

I am currently quite ill. I have the flu. Not the flu that people yell about being plagued by when they have a snotty nose but can still stand upright. I have the flu that makes you feel like you have rocks in your throat, a blacksmith hammering out various steal-wear in your head, a lower-back that's slowly coming apart vertebrae by vertebrae and a stiff neck that recalls sleeping in a funny position for about a week. Also a snotty nose. My poor doctor was treated to me trying to relay all this information through a stench of inexplicable sobbing that I can only apologise for in hindsight. That could not have been pretty. Anyway, while laying curled up in what at one point I thought was my deathbed, I decided if I had one last dying act, it should be to update this blog. I have neglected this thing I love for too long. (that kind of behaviour worries me for if I have children one day). So here I am, on the mend (one hopes), bashing out an entry on this online diary.

What's new:

I'm embarking on a second semester at the University of Cape Town! True, it's not off to a great start since I'm holed up in bed, too weak to go to lectures, while on campus my allies get given assignments that I will have to catch up on eventually. Nevertheless! Let us not be disheartened, discouraged, or dismayed. For if we do, we will spiral into unhappiness despair, I've learned that from experience. So I'm going to have to start exercising endorphins into my brain again. Which brings me quite seamlessly to my next scrap of news.

I ran a half-marathon. I know. In the months leading up to it I thought: what a lovely challenge this is! Setting goals! Breathing fresh morning air into ever-improving lungs! Life is so precious! Whilst running the marathon I thought: Oh cool, so this is what Satan makes the guys do in hell. And then when I was finished it was all great again, because even though I had blisters and chaffing I also had a sense of achievement. And it was so lovely doing it with a friend - Cannelle Gazeau, I completely forgive you for looking stunning both before and after the run while I looked a bit like a sweaty Elmo shoved in running gear. Also Natalie Fraser, who was taken down by an arrow to the knee (not quite but it was a knee thing), next time. I will not cease in my physical exertion until you and I have set 21kms behind us. The sun on our backs and pride in our hearts.




Next new thing! We got a little addition to the family, a puppy called Bentley who is part Retriever and part Labrador and part thief of hearts because he certainly stole mine. He brings joy to all, naturally, and I forgive him for all his poos and wees that we've made Chris clean up because it's his puppy. He's a cheeky blighter but I tend to go a bit blind to his flaws for some reason.





That's it for the new things, I'd say. I left out all the time spent with my big sister (who came to visit us from England while she fought both the British and the South African bureaucracy tooth and nail (and won, *fist pump*) but has left again) because our time was very special filled with long chats, playing with Bentley and the Pad Thai from Thai Cafe in Palmyra Junction. That is probably the most satisfying meal one can possibly eat.

Love to you all!

Jen x

Comments

  1. Whoo hooo, finally!! I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, Jen. What a shame. I can't wait to meet Bentley and I hope I do before he gets too big. Anyway, well done for running the marathon! I could never do it. See you at the next family get together if you're well enough yet! ;)
    Love Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts