Little Successes

Hello All, I hope you're well.

When one's life feels like "walking through treacle" as dad put it so well, and encouragements feel like mockery and the general mood is a grey one, things seem pretty hopeless and uninspiring. But sometimes it's tiring being tired of everything and one has to attempt to launch oneself out of this mindset with one foul introspective swoop. This post is my swoop.

What is a life if not a series of moments? I tend to get caught up in the long-term and it is classic for me to let weeks go by without stopping to appreciate the little moments. And in doing so, I don't register my little successes which are paramount to my self-esteem. Here is a list of recent Little Successes (I'm hoping it won't be my last):

1) Jessica Steven and a picnic a la plage

So who arrives in the town of massive wealth-gaps and indeterminate weather but our very own Jessica Steven, a mood-lifter if ever I've met one. Scroll down to a couple of last year's posts and you'll be able to place her as my London tour-guide and gorgeous friend who looked after me whilst I was visiting England. I can't tell you how pleased I am to see her! On Sunday a couple of us trundled down to a beach near camps bay and had a breakfast picnic. Does that sound like real life to you? I thought I was in a post-card. it was beautiful, but not quite as beautiful as the company.



2) Getting back into the exercise game

Since running the half-marathon in Knysna and then getting sick I haven't really been doing a lot of exercise. Well, none, I'll be dead honest with you. That might be a lowered-mood factor to think about. But on Friday and Sunday I did 40 minutes on the bike machine, produced some sweaty endorphins, and I'm hoping that soon I will be able to get back into running. I will update you as I go, not only because I know you're all so vitally interested in my fitness plan but also because it helps to have someone to tell when you're trying to achieve something. Thanks for being those people, team!

3) Rob and Jen's Breede Getaway

Since last week was a little UCT vacation, dad and I hopped into the car and followed various horizons until we got to my happiest of all happy places: the Breede River. We took walks on the beach, cooked fresh seafood that dad had harvested himself and I don't want to blow my own trumpet or anything but I made a Risotto that could have given Laurie Nelson a run for her money. Just kidding, Laurie, your Risottos the life and soul of my palette.

4) The Dogs

This is Patrick and Bentley in the car. I'm pleased to announce that after a rocky start they are becoming the best of mates. Chanderpaul had to stay home on our trip because unfortunately his arthritis hinders him from jumping in and out of cars all the time. I love them all so much!

5) The King's Speech with Jose

After years putting off watching the film because I feared my expectations were too high, Josie and I settled down onto the couch once and for all and watched it together and I have to say it was as good as they all said. Yes, of course, Colin Firth's rendition of the King was outstanding and his stammer was brilliant but Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter were both stunning too. Their comedic timing was spot-on and everything really fell into place. I'm going to have to compile a list of great films I have put off watching and sit down with Jose to get through them all. Reviews maybe to come. Don't want to commit because I'm not great at committing to things. Although, I would like to note that I am still writing this blog. Another Little Success I've just thought of, go me!

6) Driving in the Yard

On Saturday I had a mammoth driving lesson in which I parallel parked on the right and on the left and I did a three-point-turn, and a hill start. And I did alley-docking a couple of weeks ago, so I know I can do all the the things I need to be able to do for that part of the driving test. Not well, at this point, but the important thing to note is that I can do them. The hill-start is looking a bit grim because clutch-control is rather important and it's not a major skill of mine and not being on level ground throws my confidence a bit but we're getting there!

That's all for this week's segment of Jen and Tonic, folks! I have to go because I need to stop procrastinating with this blog and start procrastinating with some snacks.

I love you all, those in America, France, England, Wales and South Africa.

Jen x








Comments

  1. Hi Jen! I am SO GLAD that you're finally starting to post more entries on this blog. It's really nice to hear what you're doing these days (yes, I know, I broke the ULTIMATE ENGLISH RULE by saying "nice" but y'know what? Ain't nobody got time to stress over dat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG sorry I forgot to close my brackets!!!!!!!
    I forget them EVERY TIME.
    KILL ME NOW.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts