A Description of Seattle Culture

There is actually a reason why I haven't posted in a while (sorry Warwick) and that is that I just feel like I haven't done anything exciting enough to share with you all. That and I am massively lazy. But here I am - fingers poised at the ready and forgiveness in the air (on your side, I hope).

Since last chatting to you I have been spending a lot of my time getting to know the culture and the way people live here (Washington state). If you are South African and you're reading this hopefully you'll learn something. If you are American PLEASE don't get offended, that will say more about your sense of humour than mine to be honest.

In order for you to fully understand this culture, picture within your minds an average guy. he can be any age you want. Lets give him a good American name. How about Scott? Everybody happy with that? Good. Moving swiftly onward.

The mandatory accessory for any Seattle-dweller is a take-away cup of coffee. Probably Starbucks. Picture this casually clasped in Scott's hand. People from this area of the state hold their cups of coffee as if they are holding a glass of expensive wine. If tasting a brand they have not yet had, their brows furrow and a small sip will be taken and swilled around the mouth. Tones and notes of various flavours will be commented on. Settings and pressures of the coffee machines will be discussed. This only begins to describe how serious these people are about their coffee. It's great. I really do find it endearing, don't worry Greg. It's lovely that one can be so passionate about something that seems so commonplace. Which brings me smoothly onto my next point.

Bikes. Scott is sure to be either sitting on or holding onto his bike. Ask him about his bike and he will happily talk your ear off into the early hours of the morning. I myself have taken part in a couple of bike rides. I happen to be living with a family particularly interested in bikes, to put it lightly. Each wall of the garage is layered with various cycles, boxes of gloves can be easily identified along with mountains of spare parts which are not so easy to identify. It's like a bicycle amusement park. Many people cycle. Races seem to be taking place every week with people of all shapes and sizes taking part. Also, don't forget to give Scott a helmet, safety first my friends.

Now onto Scott's appearance. The outfit I am about to describe has probably been worn here more often than any kind of outfit, so listen closely. A plaid flannel shirt. You know the ones: expertly ruffled and fitting perfectly over the shoulders and chest. If unbuttoned, a simple V-necked white T-shirt shall be worn underneath it. The jeans he will be sporting will be exactly the right style for him, maybe rolled up at the bottoms so that the general public are certain to have a clear view of his shoes. These are likely to be some sort of vans or boat shoes. He will sport a perfectly trimmed beard that toys with the line between five o'clock shadow and full on lumberjack. His hair will be styled and trimmed to perfection. The odd tattoo or piercing would not go amiss. The entire outfit oozes "cool" yet "casual", "just-thrown-together" yet "classy" as each element of the outfit will be of high quality. You may call it pretentious. But be warned, if you start calling things pretentious here, everything will be pretentious. So I just take things as they come and accept them.

Next will be Scott's culture. He will have read a wide variety of books and listened to plenty of music, finally deciding on the chilled Bon-Iver variety to listen to as his favourite. Acoustic guitars, maybe a banjo. The odd trumpet will make an appearance every now and again. I personally love it. I realise Scott might not have enough hands by now but if your mind allows it, picture him reading an intelligent-looking book which he will carry around with him and whip out at any opportunity.

Scott's favourite coffee shop has hard-wood floors and that kind of half-built, pipes sticking out everywhere, kind of industrial style which suggests that the baristas are brewing coffee in the hull of a ship that has been decked out with mis-matched furniture and professional yet casual looking people. It is a warm break from the chilly weather outside and the air smells like coffee beans just enough to not be overbearing. Both Scott and I really love it in here. (Disclaimer: this place is completely made up I have just taken different aspects of various coffee shops I have been inside and merged them all together.)

Here are some visual aids!
On the last bike ride we went on we came across this:

It was called "The Little Free Library" and you can take and donate books as you please. This one was on the bike path. This is just not a thing at home and honestly I found it hilarious. 
Here are our bikes parked beside the Little Free Library. This couldn't be more Seattle. A load of bikes parked outside a free library. I was feeling fabulous. Everyone else was feeling rather normal. 
And  here's me! Posing next to the cute sign that looks like it has been painted by an 8 year old. 


Although I do feel very comfortable here I, of course, miss Cape Town and lots of the people inside it.  Love to you all.

Until next time,
Jen xxx




Comments

  1. Hiya Jen! no one seems to be posting comments which I find a little depressing. Yes, I know, I'm being a hypocrite. But I've had tests and went on camp (which was totally awesome)! Please push away your laziness, flop down in front of your laptop and start typing. It's very boring here at the other side of the world.

    Your inpatient cousin,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie! I miss you! I hope school and camp and waterpolo is all going well. I promise I will push away my laziness! It's comments like these that make me just open my computer and start. I doubt its very boring in your side of the world. On my side its pretty great. I'll let you know in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Somerses say hi, they love your blog and are going home tonight to get your room ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Jen 😄👏 this sounds quite amaze. I'm not sure if you're being critical some of the time or endearing and enthusiastly accepting but I think it's sort of a decision as you said and as far as I can tell you are going with the latter? It's sounds bloody amazing to me! Did I ever lend you that book about that girl who keeps moving around and in every city she moves to she has like her favourite coffee shop which is her refuge and her "home" in all the foreignness? This reminds me of that books. Love you - Jose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose you didn't tell me about that book! What is it called, I want to read it!

      Delete
  5. And Katie is right, even if you are feeling lazy, just post anyway cuz everyone really loves it x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts