A Tedx Xperience

Hello!

Before I begin my story you should know where I am. I am currently sitting in Starbucks with a cinnamon dulce latte (do you even know what that is?? I don't - but its not bad I'll tell you that) and my computer open. As you can tell I have assimilated nicely into this society. From where I'm sitting I can spot 4 beards and 3 plaid shirts. I'm starting to feel right at home. The reason why I have chosen to write here rather than on one of the comfy chairs at home is because BECCA WORKS IN THIS VERY STARBUCKS! I feel like a proud parent. I want to tip her a million rands. I'm going to take a sneaky photo.

This is the sneaky photo I just took! Look how professional she looks. She has bean such a good barista. This is the first time I've visited her but better latte than never right? It may be a tough job but at least she's earning some starbucks. She's a bit sick but don't worry she won't coff(ee) into your drink. Okay enough with the puns. We're moving on. 

So. This past weekend I went to prison. Don't worry, it was a return trip. There was a Tedx talk being held there. If you're wondering how Tedx is different from Ted, Tedx is smaller and more independent than the real TED conference. As I'm writing this, Greg - my surrogate dad - is currently at the Ted conference in Vancouver. Pretty impressive if I'm honest. 

We weren't allowed to take any pictures in the prison - it was an all women's prison by the way. In fact, we had to leave our bags and valuables in the car. All we took in were our IDs which we left in a special locker throughout the day. We went through various security which were akin to going through airport customs: Shoes and belts and jackets in a container, walk through a detector, suspicious glances, put your belongings back on, etc.  

After receiving some swag (a bag, notebook, pen, coaster (maybe?) another wooden object which I have yet to identify) we went through to the gym where the talks would be held. On our way we passed tables of art projects that the inmates had made and I assume would then donate. Which was cool. I thought a lot of things were cool. I definitely overused the word. To say the talks were "interesting" would be a bit of an understatement. I was completely captivated then entire day. The great thing about Ted is that the talks are short (between 6 and 18 minutes I think) so they don't drag on and on. So even though there were almost 20 talks, I didn't feel my mind wondering once. They were given by inmates and people who worked in, with and around the prison and was MCed by an inmate (woman) and a warden (man). They had brilliant chemistry and were pretty funny. I was really forced to abandon any preconceived ideas I had had about the people who work and live in prisons. 

In the middle of the day we had lunch in the cafeteria. Guests, volunteers and prisoners alike. I sat with a girl called Tonya (inmate) who told me about her life and I told her about mine. She didn't speak about her life in great detail and I didn't want to ask because I didn't want to cross any lines and make her feel awkward, so I spoke about myself mostly, chatting to her about my gap year and how nervous I am to start university. She assured me it would be fine. Thanks Tonya. 

I won't explain every single talk in detail because there were so many so I'll just chat about one of the most interesting ones. Her name is Meredith and the first thing she said when she got up on stage was "I killed two people". She then started telling us about one day she got high and drove and crashed her car killing two people. At this point another woman, named Sheila, came up onto stage and started talking about how she was putting Christmas presents under a tree when a police officer knocked on her door and told her that her parents had been killed. They both told their stories about how they eventually came into contact, the offender and her victim, and how they stayed in touch. It was crazy to listen to. 

After the talks, Greg and I went to Vashon, a nearby island on which the family own a holiday house. Its quite cool because we went on a ferry. Greg and I stood on the front taking pictures just to make sure that everybody knew I was a tourist. 


Here's Greg taking arty shots with his professional-looking camera. 


Here's me taking a selfie. 

Surprisingly enough my weekend didn't end there. They next day my adventure continued, but maybe I'll write about that another time...

Until next time, 
Jen x


Comments

  1. It must of been so cool to be in a prison! Well, maybe. But just tell me, did Meredith kill Sheila's parents? I got a little confused there. Oh, by the way, I found out why NO ONE IS COMMENTING YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I found out why Chris doesn't anyway. he says that he gets letters from you so he never comments. I didn't think about that. Well- no, I'm actually gonna used a different word now. I did think that you were calling each at night THOUGH. That's what we do.

    Missing you
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! Yes, Meredith did accidentally kill Sheila's parents which made it so incredible to watch them say their speech together. Thanks for figuring out why no one is commenting on my blog! I'm glad it's a reason other than "complete lack of interest". I'm now t sure it's a good enough excuse. You're my favorite Katie.

    Missing you too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen just for the public record - I LOVE your blogs - and the cherry on the top are your comments Kate! (-: I am Soooo jealous of your TEDex experience- what a life memory! What's your plaid-shirt count up to? I remember those so well - still the same since the early 80s!! Love you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks aunty Margs! I am lucky that I have Kate to make these all the more exciting! My plaid shirt count is ever on the rise, don't worry! Love you so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really you guys! I just comment because it's the only way I can communicate with Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! I have found another square with Your comment written on it. Now I hope that Publish means 'Send' as I have not found a 'Send' button. I must say I love plaid shirts. Grandpa bought one in Ketchum (Sun Valley) and he still wears it. Has poppers down the front disguising the buttons - very cool.
    It has just turned June and the weather is getting cold. So guess what? The Sola heater has given up and the 'Man" who has to fix it has not come for days even though I keep phoning. Fear not though, we have switched on the geyser in the flat and it is a super shower. Not quite a s good as Florries outside one but because we have to go through the stoep we pretend that we are going to the outside shower.

    We have exam writers everywhere just now; all those eligible to write are doing so, right from Katie up to Helen. So glad I don't have to write any more. The school ones were the worst. It is better at University, though I don't think Matthew would say so. He works so hard and I know he will do well.

    Will write more later as that hot shower in the next room is beckoning, and I am in my study playing computer, computer.
    Lots of love
    Gran xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading these updates Granny! Publish does mean send, you're doing well with your computer navigation! Hope everyone's exams are doing well and that the solar heater is on the mend. All my love xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts